My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I'm just a writer girl who has a lot to say. Some people think I'm funny, but I know I'm a deep, sistergyal who is just chillin' in the T-Dot giving you my observations. At some point, these thoughts will all be in a book. Then I won't have to fret myself about work. Until then, I blog...

Friday, January 14, 2005

No More Drama - Mary J. Blige

[Ed. note - naming blog entries after songs will be a running theme for Gracefully Ghetto. Actually, I'm hoping that these entries will help me with something greater. I gots big plans.]

I am convinced that some of my female friends like drama. I have some girlfriends who seem happier -- or, at least, more content -- when they are embroiled in some kind of dramatic situation.

A number have man drama -- some have work related drama. Now, a little drama should be expected in everyone's life. If there isn't any drama, life is just DRY. So, drama is the spice of life, but if it's too spicy, it can be hectic.

Personally, the less drama I have in my life, the better. I remember wanting a drama-filled life like my girls -- numerous relationship issues, leading me to bawl on their shoulders.

Hmmph, not today. I'm quite content with B.'s and my comfortable, fun relationship.

I guess some folks would call that boring, but really, how long can sparks fly? How long can drama keep a relationship fresh? How spicy does that jerk chicken have to be before it stops being tasty and starts burning like a mofo?

Some women can't be in a relationship sans drama, pain and heartache -- pretty much, Mary J. Blige's My Life CD. Great CD, but, Lord, Mary could have done with some relationship counseling. For sane women, I'm convinced, that would become tedious. How many nights should we stay up bickering? How long should I worry about him cheating on me or beating me? How many hours should I cuss out his tail because I can't depend on him.

Example, summer 2003, I was getting to know a young man at work (who I saw today and he couldn't even turn his had to say 'dog, whassup?') and just our daily talks/phone calls/instant messaging had become enormously difficult because he was and is a drama queen. Or king (he'd be offended by the 'queen' reference).

He was. And is.

One of the main reasons I decided to let that one get away was his love of antics. Our burgeoning relationship was too much work -- I had to coddle his 6 ft tall tail constantly and I'm not about that.

I would slam down the phone after cussing him out. He would cuss me by IM and jump offline. My sister and I would have conferences about him being an ass at my desk. My former co-worker would weigh in with his two cents. My buddy would comment about relationships.

[INSERT SUCKING OF TEETH]

DRAMA.

By July, I couldn't be bothered. I told him we were better off just being friends. That led to even MORE drama. Why would anyone enjoy that? Or feel like they're in a relationship because it's a non-stop saga. My life felt like the Black version of The Young and The Restless.

And that couldn't go on.

Drama sucks the life out of you and out of any burgeoning relationship -- romantic relationships, friendships or work relationships. Drama and sagas are outlets for emotional vampires who need to be staked through their hearts... not literally, figuratively.

Sheesh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home